Oracle 18c - SQLPlus cute Features

Posted by Dirk Nachbar on Wednesday, March 14, 2018
As I got my fingers on the latest Oracle 18c Release, I had the chance to test some cute new features within SQLPlus, which are really helpful.

SET LINESIZE WINDOW:

The new option WINDOW for SET LINESIZE automatically adjust your linesize to your current window size.

As you can see in the below screenshot, the first select was executed without the linesize option, so you will have the usual line break in your result set. Afterwards I execute "SET LINESIZE WINDOW", re-executed the select statement and you can see that the linesize is automatically adjusted to my current window size.


SET FEEDBACK ON SQL_ID:

This new option SQL_ID for SET FEEDBACK ON is my personal favorite. This option will provide you on the end of your executed SQL Statement the SQL_ID.

sqlplus test_new/Oracle18c@pdb01
SQL> set feedback on sql_id
SQL> select * from cat;

TABLE_NAME                     TABLE_TYPE
------------------------------ -----------
T1                             TABLE
V1                             VIEW

2 rows selected.

SQL_ID: adcm6b60qf64q

Enjoy the new 18c Features :-)